The Awards are open to full or part-time students enrolled at a New Zealand* tertiary institution during 2018, or who completed the final year of their course in 2017. Students must be enrolled, or completed a course in 2017, in a Lighting / Furniture / Product Design / Glass / Ceramics / Textile / Fashion or Jewellery related course (or similar) to be eligible.
Students are eligible:
- if you are currently studying an undergraduate course in 2018 (ie: Bachelor, Certificate, Diploma and any year including 1st to 4th years)
- If you are currently studying a postgraduate course in 2018 (ie: Masters or Postgraduate Diploma)
- if you completed both an undergraduate course in 2017 (ie: Bachelor, Certificate or Diploma level)
- if you completed a postgraduate course in 2017 (ie: Masters or Postgraduate Diploma level)
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All entries will automatically receive a free student membership to The Friends of The Dowse.
2. SUPREME AWARD
ECC NZ Student Craft / Design Supreme Award (x1) $2,000
- The Supreme Award winner will receive $2,000 in prize money.
- Exhibition of the winning design at ECC Lighting and Furniture stores (either Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington) during the month of November. Freight costs, to send the winning design to ECC and return the entry to the winner, will be supplied free of charge by Efficient Moving and Storage, the Awards Freight sponsors.
- The winner will be announced online and will be invited to attend a small presentation of the award at the ECC exhibition opening (date to be advised). The winning design will be placed on the ECC NZ Student Craft / Design Award website, www.nzcraftdesignawards.com, The Dowse website and ECC website.
- There will be promotion of the winning entry in the Friends of The Dowse email newsletter. The Supreme Award winner may have the opportunity to display their entries at Urbis Designday headquarters in Auckland in March 2018. They will also receive a years Urbis magazine subscription.
3. SUSTAINABILITY AWARD (NEW)
L'affare Innovation in Sustainability Award $1,000
The Winner of the L'affare Innovation in Sustainability Award will be chosen from all entries. One prize will be allocated. This award recognises work that uses innovative sustainability practices across craft or design applications.
4. CATEGORY AWARDS
All entries for the Category Awards listed below must meet the Entry Requirements. Please refer to “5. Entry Requirements”. Each winner will receive $1,000 in prize money, provided to the winner by cheque or online deposit into a nominated bank account. Each entry must be submitted for judging under a specific category. It is at the judges discretion to re-allocate an entry if it is felt it is more appropriate placed into another category.
ECC Ltd Lighting Award $1,000
The Winner of the ECC Ltd Lighting Award will be selected from all lighting entries. One prize will be allocated.
ECC Ltd Furniture and Product Design Award $1,000
The Winner of the ECC Ltd Furniture and Product Design Award will be selected from all furniture entries, and all product design entries. One prize will be allocated.
Tuatara Ceramics Award $1,000
The Winner of the Tuatara Ceramics Award will be selected from all ceramics entries. One prize will be allocated.
The Village Goldsmith Jewellery Award $1,000
The Winner of the Village Goldsmith Jewellery Award will be selected from all jewellery entries. One prize will be allocated.
Rembrandt Textile & Fashion Award $1,000
The Winner of the Textile & Fashion Award will be selected from all textile and fashion entries. One prize will be allocated.
5. PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD
ECC NZ Student Craft / Design People’s Choice Award (x1) $1,000
The People’s Choice Award winner is chosen by an online public voting system. Winners of the Supreme Award, Category Awards and Highly Commended entries will be eligible to win the People’s Choice Award. Those entries eligible for the People’s Choice Award will be provided in an online gallery, with the entrants name and tertiary institution information only. There will NOT be any indication as to whether they are a Supreme Award winner, Category Award winner or a Highly Commended entry.
- The People’s Choice Award winner will receive $1,000 in prize money.
- They will have their entry placed on display at an ECC store during the month of November.
- The winning design will be placed on the ECC NZ Student Craft / Design Award website, www.nzcraftdesignawards.com, The Dowse website and ECC website.
- There will be an inclusion of the prize winners entry in the Friends of The Dowse newsletter.
- The People’s Choice Award winner may have the opportunity to display their entries at Urbis Design Day headquarters in Auckland in March 2018. They will also receive a years Urbis magazine subscription.
6. HIGHLY COMMENDED ENTRIES
Ten highly commended entries will receive certificates and imagery of their work placed on the ECC NZ Student Craft / Design Award website. They will also be invited to have their designs exhibited at ECC during the month of November. It is at the discretion of the judges to either reduce or increase the number of Highly Commended entries.
7. ENTRIES AND KEY DATES
Students are invited to submit entries presenting a work / project completed in the 2018 or 2017 academic year. The Award is offered to encourage creativity and excellence in contemporary New Zealand Craft and Design and aims to celebrate creative solutions and artistic merit. The entry should exhibit innovative and imaginative ideas based on a design brief provided by the tertiary institution in any of the various mediums related to the fields of lighting, furniture and product design, glass and ceramics, textile and fashion or jewellery. The finished craft or design should have the potential to be displayed at The Dowse Art Museum or be able to have a recording made of it for display (if it is selected). The entry should exhibit an excellent standard of presentation.
1. The awards online submission opens on Wednesday 1 August and closes midnight on Saturday 30 September 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
2. Entries are open only via our online entry form found at www.nzcraftdesignawards.com including uploading supporting imagery.
3. This year we are accepting entries from the following fields:
- Lighting design
- Furniture and Product design
- Ceramic design
- Jewellery design
- Textile & Fashion design
4. Entries are not accepted for drawings or paintings.
5. Entrants may submit as many different works as they wish, but must do this as individual submissions online. Group entries are also accepted, but must have one person selected as the contact for all NZ Student Craft / Design Award submissions. All group member names must be included in the “personal statement” of the award.
6. By entering, you give the Friends of The Dowse the permission to use your entry for promotional and PR purposes.
7. Winners will be notified on Monday 8th October. If your entry has been selected as the winner or as a Highly Commended entry, you will be contacted by phone or email. At that time it will be discussed with the winner their availability to exhibit at an ECC store. Efficient Moving and Storage (the Awards freight sponsors) will assist students in getting their winning work to ECC by the desired time. Entries will be returned by arrangement with the Friends of The Dowse.
8. To meet the high quality standard of the awards, your presentation should be well thought out and the idea must be clearly recognisable and presented with clear imagery and high quality photography. This will be a judging consideration.
9. It is important that the entry is your own creation and stems from your own ideas.
10. Anyone who breaches copyright will unfortunately have to be excluded from the competition.
11. If you are unsure of whether your entry meets any of the above requirements, please email: email@example.com.
12. The People’s Choice Award will be an online voting system and will close at a date which will be advertised on the Awards website.
Insurance while in transit and on display at ECC will need to be covered 'you' the Student, entrant.
* Please note that the Friends of The Dowse Committee reserve the right to allow entries from New Zealand students participating in tertiary studies outside of New Zealand. This is only provided on a case by case basis and would not normally be allowed unless in special circumstances.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.